Cuban authorities require that you have valid medical insurance to enter the country. You may be required to show proof of insurance at Immigration so it’s best to carry a copy of your travel insurance with you in your hand luggage.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes. You shouldn’t leave the country without travel insurance.

Whilst you hopefully won’t have to make a claim, travel insurance is there to protect you in the event that something goes wrong – it will protect you from medical costs should you need to visit a doctor or receive treatment. It also covers holiday horrors from stolen bags to stomach upsets.

Every year ABTA and the Foreign Office see cases where holidaymakers, or their relatives, have suffered substantial medical expenses due to the costs of travelling uninsured. Even worse, some hospitals may refuse to treat you if you have neither holiday insurance nor sufficient funds to cover your treatment.

You may think you are covered by other forms of protection including European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) and your credit card but only travel insurance offers you the protection that you need to cover the wide range of problems that you may meet overseas.

Check ABTA guides on what your travel insurance policy should cover, how to choose a travel insurance policy, other kinds of cover and specialist travel insurance.